Tuesday 9 October 2018

South Australia Transverse

Today I continued on my trek west across Sth Australia, travelling at least 700k. In the morning, I stopped at Coonalpyn, which was one of the first towns to embrace Silo Art. Where grain Silo's are given to an artist to paint giant murals. See Pic below. Several other towns have followed and it has proven to a good tourist attraction to get passing motorists to stop, get a coffee or a snack. Good economics for the locals.

I bypassed Adelaide and headed through the Barossa Valley, a region famous for producing excellent Australian Red wines. It also has a strong German heritage from Immigration in the 19th century. One thing for sure is that Sth Australia is not suffering drought, everything was lush and green, the vines are just beginning to get leaves on. Its all looking good. Although it rained nearly all day.

I decided to keep going and I went to Hornsdale in Northern SA, where the SA Govt, despite huge opposition from Loony Right Federal govt, built Australia's first Grid battery, fed by Wind power generation. Elon Musk supplied the batteries. See pic below. It has been a huge success and actually shows a govt with some foresight and leadership, sadly lacking nearly everywhere today in Politics. Although it is not much to look at, see small white boxes in distance, looked like beehives.

After leaving Hornsdale, I realised I needed fuel, i took a chance and made it to a fuel station about 40k away. it is a fairly remote part of SA.

I pushed through to Pt Augusta, with a view to staying the night. I went to the supermarket to get some supplies and while there, I went to toilets for a leak. When i came out, the big strong steel gates had been locked with a big padlock and I was locked in. What type of idiot locks the toilet area, male, females, baby change area without checking that anyone is in there. A sth Australian idiot, that's who. I was lucky a female staff member turned up with a key, by chance as she was going to the toilet. I was only stuck for about 10 mins.

Unfortunately, I could not seem to find anywhere to stay in Port Augusta so I pushed on through to Whyalla, where upon arriving treated myself to really  nice steak and a glass of Mclaren Vale SA Shiraz.


Coonalpyn Silo Art



Hornsdale Battery Plant and wind farm


No comments:

Post a Comment