Saturday 31 May 2014

Xian – May 30 2014

Well Lucky B has had a big day today, starting with some leisurely breakfast and coffee in Xining, a trip to the airport (expensive coffee $9) and casual 1+ hr flight to Xian. Comfortably picked up and chauffeured in a Buick to the Hostel (prearranged). I was here about 9hrs before the train would have delivered me and it was time to go exploring.

Xian is a big city, much bigger than Xining. It is a walled city and where I am staying is just inside the wall near one of the big gates. The walls run for 14km around the old city and there is much more beyond the wall. Apparently you can ride bikes along the wall but I have not been up for a look yet, although the buildings are impressive. (see last pic at night of one of the gates)

In the centre of the city is the Bell tower (see pic of building in middle of roundabout, with the Drum tower near by.

This is a very modern and commercial city, every designer in world seems to have a shop here. All very up market and expensive. The chinese are doing it tough, in one little section of the street I saw a Hummer, BMW 3, BMW X5, VW Toureg and maybe a Porsche. They are common here. (see pic)

I must have walked about 6 km this afternoon, up and down stairs and surprisingly enough, because the altitude is lower, I didn’t feel like I was going to die on every step.

Tonight I went up to the “Big” Wild Goose Pagoda (there is a little one) to see a lights and water show. It was ok (see vid) but the crowds were full on. At the end of the clip you can see some of the light toys the Chinese  seem to like so much.


Things that make colour and noise are very popular. I got guided around by a couple of Chines girls visiting from another provence, they were on the bus and one of them works for the Commonwealth Bank of Australia in her home town. Sensing I was an Aussie, they guided me to the big square where the Pagoda is and then cleared off.











I was not going to take my chances with a bus back, as it was a long way so I got one of those Tuk Tuk type taxis. I think it must have been electric as it died half way home and he seem to just change a duracell or something and we were off again. I have refined my concept of road rules here, they now are;
  1. There are no rules, just general guidelines
  2. Generally, whoever is biggest has right away
  3. But if you are small and determined and push in first, then you can get away with it.
  4. Driving on your side of the road is just a tendency
  5. There are no requirements for lights, helmets, blinkers or any thing else
  6. Go with the flow.
The other thing I noticed is that all the airport and subway and shopping posters/billboards and peoples mobile phones have always got incredibly sharp, highly colour saturated photos of mountains, waterfalls, flowers etc, but when you look at the actual world around you, everything is drab grey/brown with visibility of about 1km or less. Just an observation.

Tomorrow is my birthday so I am going to the Dumpling house for a long lunch.

Sunday  I have booked an all day tour to see the Terra Cotta warriors

Footnote:   Xian is over 3100 years old. Population as at 2010 was 8.5 million. Elevation 405 mtrs (virtually sea level).








1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday for Saturday Doug - enjoy your well-deserved dumplings!

    The road rules seem to be the same as they are in Turkey :-)
    Still enjoying your reports and pics

    ReplyDelete