Sunday 1 May 2016

Highway 61 Revisited (Bob Dylan Reference)

When Bob Dylan released his Album, "Highway 61 Revisited" in 1965, little did he realise that I would doing the same thing 51 years later. In 10 years, if I come back again, I can revisit it 61 years later. Highway 61 travels through the places I have been today and yesterday in Mississippi, reputedly the birthplace of the Blues in Americana musical history. I have been following the Blues triangle and I am now in Memphis, Tennessee. Elvis's home town, well sort of as he was born in Tupelo, which is down the road and a place I am yet to visit.

I stayed last night at a place called Leland, not very notable today for any reason, I then went to Indianola (where I did some laundry) and had breakfast, then onto Greenwood  (where Robert Johnson is from) Tonight there was a show on in Greenwood with Robert Johnson grandson playing, but decided to give Greenwood a miss as it was not an appealing town.  I then went onto Clarksdale, MS, known as Ground Zero of the blues and is where the famous Robert Johnson crossroads are at the crossing of highways 61 and 49. The actor Mogan Freeman also has a bar here called Ground Zero.  I went to that and the Blues museum, both were good. As it was still early in the afternoon, I decided to go the extra 70 mile to Memphis, rate than stay at Clarkesdale. On the way, I saw another blues museum, which was also very good. it had lots of old and rare guitars.

I am staying a little out of the downtown area so not sure what I am doing tonight. I want to visit Graceland and Beale st and the Gsibson guitar shop here in Memphis, but I have booked two nights here so should be able to get it all in.

Pics below


This is typical of what most of Mississippi looks like, plantation, probably cotton.


Blues Museum at Clarksdale


Ground Zero Bar (Morgan Freeman)


Note the rims



Ground Zero bar inside (note the Aussie flag)



Above and below, shops in Clarksdale


Your classic drugstore





The crossroads Hwys 61 & 49


More typical Mississippi


The other Blues museum


I put a pin in for Melbourne, but there were lots already there.














All above at the museum


3 comments:

  1. Love reading all about this part of your trip; wish we were there (our kind of music) Very envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently the Frog Museum at Leland boasts the birth place of Kermit the Frog!! Who could have guessed? E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I did notice a Jim Henson museum and picture of Kermit, but dismissed it as uninteresting.

    ReplyDelete