Thursday 5 May 2016

Somerset, Kentucky

I am sitting "The Square" lounge on the corner of W Mt Vernon and Main streets in Somerset, Kentucky having  coffee. this morning I left Nashville about 9am towards Bowling Green, Kentucky, it was blue skies and sunshine until I got to Bowling Green. Then the skies darkened and it has been raining ever since. ***Sarcasm alert ***  I love American culture. At Bowling Green, I was getting peckish for breakfast and coffee, so trying to avoid the corporatised fast food chains I spotted a place called something or other Ham  Bakery & Cafe. Note the & Cafe. I asked for coffee and was told politely that they do not sell coffee. When I mentioned that the establishment was called xxx & Cafe. She gave me a quizzened look and I don't think make the connection. I then went to what was Bowling Green's star attraction, which was the National Corvette Musuem. Pics later.

About an hour down the road at Glasgow, Kentucky, I searched again for something resembling a non corporate food outlet. I found a burger place and ordered the "All natural beef burger", a few minutes later I was delivered the "Swiss and Mushroom". I know we talk funny, but not that funny. I sent it back and asked for my "All ...". What I got was anything but all natural and was the closest thing to McDonald's that I have eaten.

This afternoon I will continue towards the Carolina's and the Smoky Mountains (I think I can already hear Banjos). They will talk funny there. Hopefully the rain will keep them indoors or on porches whittling sticks.

I suspect Internet and phone coverage will also disappear soon as I approach the Hillbilly triangle.

LB


No comments:

Post a Comment