Monday 2 May 2016

Graceland & Beale St, Memphis

Sorry this late, still in draft mode.

Today I headed out early to see Graceland  at 9am, mostly to avoid the crowds. It is a nice home, not really a mansion, but a big house and very well furnished. The grounds are large, but not huge. It has horses in the back. It is a money making execise, cheapest tour, just the house is $40 and merchandising is full on, luckily not at the house but the parking/commercial complex across the road. I was done after about an hour.

I then headed off for breakfast before waiting for the Apple Store to open at 12.00. My computer was getting worse so I decided to get a new light MacBook, a fraction of the weight of my existing one and they are a little cheaper to buy here in the US. Even so, the visa went ouch.

After that I headed into Memphis downtown to the Gibson factory/store and Beale St. I was concerned I would not get parking as the Beale St music festival was in its last day today and whilst some streets were blocked off, I managed to park at Gibson's parking lot ($15 thanks), but it was right near the interesting area of Beale street and I could freely walk around, no ticket required. Apparently the stages were nearer the river end. the Gibson shop was smaller than I expected but I suppose they only have one brand. Everything was way too expensive to get any more toys and I had already done my visa quota for the day. 

I went to the Irish pub for a beer (Guiness) or two, then picked up some souvenir t shirts in my size. I am constantly amazed here with so many big people (makes me look small) yet nearly all the tourist stores don't carry big sizes. Thankfully Beale street did. I then had some late lunch and headed back to the hotel to set up the new computer and transfer everything from the old one. It is taking hours so this is being sent from iPad. I will try to upload today's pics tomorrow. Tomorrow I head for Nashville, about 3 hrs away. There are severe thunderstorms and tornado's a few hundred k's north of here so I hope they don't come south.

Tonight I had delivered BBQ for dinner and it was delicious, pulled pork, brisket and ribs. The yanks know how to do slow cooked meats.

No comments:

Post a Comment