Friday 6 May 2016

Asheville, North Carolina

Well another wet day, only did about 200 miles today. I am in Asheville for tonight and tomorrow I will attempt to drive along the most southern section of the Blueridge Parkway, America's most scenic road. I will only see a small part of it as it is about 500 mile long from top to bottom. The other thing that Asheville is famous for is Biltmore Estate, the Largest Privately owned house in the US. A French style chateau on 8000 acres built by one of the Vanderbilts at the end of the 19th century.

see link for details  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltmore_Estate

I was delayed on the way here, it seems there must have been an accident on the freeway as the police  blocked the freeway and sent us off at an exit. I just followed the crowds and eventually made it back to the freeway to Asheville, although I am not convinced it was the same freeway. They have lots of freeways here.

Anyway I took a few pics of the countryside today, some in Kentucky, some in Tennessee and some in North Carolina, but don't ask which is which. The rain finally eased when I got to Asheville and the sun was out briefly. I think the forecast is more rain tomorrow.

Pics



I thought I heard banjos, so I kept driving.


Note Sherrifs car just to left of red truck, blocking the road.


The Smoky Mountains were covered in cloud.




No comments:

Post a Comment