Wednesday 5 November 2014

Aloha Hawaii

I have arrived in Honolulu which is a good thing, thee bad news is I have to spend about 6 hrs here tonight till my plane to the big island (Hawaii) at 5am. There is nothing to do here, everything is shut and mostly empty, apart from people lying around the ground with newspapers for blankets. I expect they are like me and have hours to wait for their next flight, that or they just ordinary street people. Luckily the weather here seems to be kind to sleeping outdoors, it  is about 20c and  fairly high humidity at midnight. No sign of rain. yet.

Hawaii airport seems huge, and i think as usual, I had to walk from the the point most furthest as possible (where we landed) to the other side of the airport (where I am meant to depart from) only to find it closed until 3.30 am so I had to walk back to the International terminal, get through security, and likely find a place open. It is a Starbucks,  which ordinarily I would avoid. Luckily for me, it could have been a McDonalds and then I would' have some real soul searching to do. As I, as a matter of choice, refuse to buy McDonalds offerings, yet I will happily use their toilets to delivery back what they serve their customers. Starbucks has provided a mediocre iced coffee.

Joy should be flying over the pacific somewhere nearby as I write this, she is flying direct from LAX to Sydney and then onto to Melbourne arriving about 12.30 or 1pm (I think) on the 6th Nov.

Time now for another iced coffee.  (maybe I can get some rum in it)


LB









3 comments:

  1. I almost know how you feel as I am in Canberra for the night. Doug you are now free from that Joy chick who I think was slowing you down. Remember you said danger was your middle name. How about some excitement eg bicycle ride from the top of the mountain where the telescopes are all the way down hill (wearing one of you new hats), maybe some surf action?
    I look forward to you new adventure.
    Tristan

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a few hours its off to the big island, with lava spewing volcanoes and 4200 metre high telescopes, all the danger one could ask for. I agree the Short One may have been slowing me down a bit, or it could have been old age. Stay tuned, my first adventure has been spending a lonely night at Honolulu airport, my next challenge will be to get into my room before 3pm, otherwise it will be a hot sweaty day, with a need for sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been blogged. Your place was dead on Cup Eve! WTF? Dublin is straight over the pole. See you there in six weeks!

    ReplyDelete