Friday 14 November 2014

Mahalo Hawaii

Aloha Australia and Mahalo Hawaii,

Today, my last day in Honolulu was pretty much like yesterday, I caught the bus into town, wandered around the streets in the heat and found the Hawaiian shirt shop I was told about in Hawaii by this musician that worked at the car sales/rental place. He told me his name, but I have forgotten it, he is of Japanese decent, about 4 generations and according to the other girl at the car place, is a very well respected guitar/uke player that regularly tours all over the world and has several CD's out. I thought he had a nice shirt on so he gave me the address in Honolulu. I bought 2 shirts and there are no photos yet, they are still wrapped up. I can tell you the exclusive designer label is Manuheali'i and in Hawaiian nearly every vowel is pronounced. As in Hawaii (ha-why-e-e).

I also found another nice guitar/uke shop which had lots of nice things and some at very good prices, but I resisted again and opted to buy nothing. Such self control. Honolulu is not an easy city to walk around in, lots of concrete and pavement, little shade (in parts) and the sun is hot and the air is humid. It also does not seems to have a central place or heart, there is a chinatown, a downtown (which is all business), a large shopping mall (Alona I think) and Waikiki district which is all hotels and hamburger places. None of which are that close to each other and none stick out as the place to be.

I did find a nice Chinese place for lunch, I had crab meat mixed with cream cheese and celery and a hint of spring onion and chilli, wrapped in a won ton wrapper and deep fried, Yum. Honolulu is a very asian city, big share of the population either of Japanese, Korean or Chinese ancestry, mixed in with Polynesian. It also seems to have a lot of elderly people, mainly from the US who want a warmer climate. It is either here or Florida. Another piece of useless trivia i picked up whilst on the Hawaii (the big island) is that is has no snakes, at all. Surprising really as it is tropical with lots of small and large bugs and lizards for a snake to eat, but no snakes. I think some of the other islands may have them, but not Hawaii.

My one pic of the day (Honolulu is not photogenic) is of the dive of a motel I am staying in, the Pacific Marina Inn, the internet is crap, there is no breakfast, the rooms are tiny and it is in the middle of an industrial estate. It is also expensive.

The up side is it is close to the airport, 5 min, they do provide a shuttle service for free and there is a reasonable Chinese restaurant at the inn.

Aloha Vegemites, I am heading your way.


The Pacific Marina Inn (el dumpo)

4 comments:

  1. Thank Doug for sharing your wonderful holiday with us - have a safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, that was supposed to read - thank you Doug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. see you soon boof

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weak as piss LB. Go for a decent holiday next time. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete