Friday 29 April 2016

Jazz Fest - Even Wetter

Today I shelled out my US$75 to go to the Jazz Fest. It is an all day ticket, but no pass outs, leave and you can't go back in.

I got there easily enough by a bus just near the hotel on Toulouse and Rampart Sts, which took me through Treme to the New Orleans Horse Racing Track where the festival was being held. Two main stages and various "tents" for other varieties of music. I got there about 11.30 -12.00 and soon after the heavens opened up with a thunderstorm and torrential heavy rain. I got saturated in seconds as the organisers of the festival, in their infinite wisdom, did not apparently anticipate and plan for the possibility that it might  rain. There was no shelter anywhere from the sun or the rain and no seating at the main stages. You either brought your own folding chair or you stood. There was a limited amount of under cover seating at both stages but it was reserved for "Big Chief" members only, whoever they were, but for blow ins like me, it was a no go area.

I ended up buying an Official poncho for US$40, but it is a nicely made one and and was very waterproof. Although by that time I was already drenched.

I saw a woman called Mia Borders, the Lost Bayou Ramblers with Rickie Lee Jones helping out and Gary Clarke Jnr, during all performances the rain was so heavy you could hardly see the stage. I also saw some nice Treme houses on my way to the bus. My camera battery died before Rickie Lee started, not sure why, perhaps because it got very wet or I may have left it on. After that, only phone camera.


Tonight is my last night in New Orleans, I pick up a car tomorrow and shall head toward Baton Rouge and Greendale along the Mississippi. Heading toward  Memphis and Elvis country.





And the Rain Came Down during Melody Garners show.




Gary Clark Jrn


Treme House


For anyone called Leon.



                                                              

2 comments:

  1. The walkin' was done by Fats Domino rather than Fats Waller. My mistake. Sounds like you could be swimmin' from Nu Orleans. H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pity about the lack of comfort that the festival - the National Folk Festival in Canberra was exceptionally well organised :-)

    ReplyDelete