Friday 8 April 2016

Machu Picchu

Hi everyone,

Finally made it to Machu Picchu. We did the tour this morning, up at 4.30 then caught a bus from Agua Calientes, (water hot) chichis the tourist town that services Machu Picchu. You get there by bus from here or walk, there is no driving up to Machu Picchu.

Yesterday we rode the bikes from Cuzco, along the Sacred valley to a town called Ollantaytambo, from there it was 90min in a train winding along a narrow valley falling a river to Agua Calientes.

Thankfully, the altitude is lower here, only 2600 mtrs and I feel better as a result, but walking around Machu Picchu was hard work and has reemphasised that I was not fit enough to take on this trip, it has been hard work all the way. In the next day or two, I will make my mind up if I continue travelling or come home for a break and take up the quest another day. I must admit I am getting a bit
 homesick.

The final thing I must mention about Sth America in general, and in particular, Peru and Bolivia is the dogs. Dogs are everywhere, seeming homeless muts, but no one seems to pay them any mind. Obviously no dog catchers in this part of the world.

Late posting because internet broken at Hotel last night. I did have a bit of Cuy (Guinea Pig) last night, not that flash. Today it is train back to Ollantaytambo, then on the bikes back to Cuzco and then dinner tonight officially ends the tour.


Pics






Agua Calientes



Machu Picchu
























Dogs are everywhere


Usually sleeping



1 comment:

  1. What, all dogs & no cats - do they eat them as well as guinea pigs...?
    Machu Picchu does look impressive.

    ReplyDelete