Monday 11 April 2016

Lima - The Paris end of Collins St, Melbourne.

Many years ago, about 30 to be precise, I worked for the Australian Wheat Board (AWB) in Melbourne. Whilst there, I read a telex from our New York Office discussing the merits of a particular hotel in Lima, proposed for a forthcoming delegation visit to Peru.

I quote "That area of Lima makes the Sth Bronx look like the Paris end of Collins St". This has always stuck with me as an eloquent turn of phrase. Succinct and clear. (at least to those familiar with Collins St)

Now that I am  in Lima, I can happily say that the hotel I am staying at, the Gran Bolivar, on the Plaza San Martin, is very much like the Paris end of Collins St, especially at night overlooking the street from the Hotel restaurant balcony. Tree lined streets with white buildings lit by flood lights, very chic. Me thinks the South Bronx may not have progressed as nicely.

Today has been election day, or at least knock out day. There are several candidates and the favourite,  Keiko Fujimora (the daughter, not grand daughter as previously thought) of Peruvian president Fujimora in the 1990s. Although credited with some reform and progress, he is also meant to be one of the most corrupt politicians ever. From reports I have seen, Keiko got about 40% of the vote and will go through to the next round of elections in June. I spent most of the day trying to sort out bugs with my computer, I think it is about to die very soon. It is still a work in progress. The keyboard/trackpad locks up and I am forced to reboot, often losing work to date.

Here are some pics from 2 days ago in Cusco and of the Hotel and square in Lima.

Cusco


Cusco, narrow cobblestone street


Sign means no touch, car in hotel Lobby, Lima


Stairs at Hotel Bolivar



Entrance foyer and glass ceiling




Plaza San Martin

Entrance



More men on Horses


Corridor of Hotel


No comments:

Post a Comment