Tuesday 10 June 2014

Final Day in Beijing - Monday 9th June

My final day in Beijing was an overall quiet affair, I started late after sorting out some file transfers to USB sticks of my photos to day, these I combined with other knick knacks I picked up to send home in a parcel with China Post. I also sent a stick with the bike trip photos to the person from that group who volunteered to collate everyone’s photos into a single shared library. I am looking forward to seeing some off the “GoPro” video footage shot by riders as they were going along with Helmet cam.

Not much in photos today, looked for quirky Beijing things, but only found a few odd vehicles and an old public pay phone which are going the same way as the dinosaurs, everyone here seems at least one of the latest phones and some have more than one.
 


 
 On the trains, seems everyone (like home) has their head glued to their phone, either texting, playing games, or watching movies/TV.
 
Not sure what the Col Sanders take off is, it was a food place, not sure what type of food, maybe it was General Zhou’s Beijing BBQ Animal bits.
 
 
Speaking of Animal bits, when trying to find Science museum, I went to the same market that I visited the other day which sold Spider, Scorpion, bugs etc. I tried some fried dumplings which I understood to be pork, but it was the funniest tasting pork that I have ever had. I am still here, so I guess it was safe.

My plan, after visiting the Post Office, was to go to Sony’s Science Museum, written up as the only one outside of Japan. After navigating buses and walking to get to the building where it was meant to be located, I soon learnt it had been relocated to some new area a long way from any subway station. At this point I decided the Science Museum could live without me and I came back to the hostel and had some ice cream.

An early night tonight as it is up at 5am to get to the train in the morning for an 8.05 departure.

Blog posts might be quiet for a few days, not sure what to expect in Mongolia, could be better, I.e. No restrictions on everything, or could be worse, limited or no internet access.

Keep Posted

LB

2 comments:

  1. Sonja and Dean10 June 2014 at 21:55

    Hi Doug - really enjoying the blog updates and pics. Move talking to video if you get a chance. It's great to see you have navigated China safely - an amazing place and hope you got out given all the Meoow references (code - not so subtle). BTW - congrats on reaching ol' 55 - let the super begin (thanks Joe) Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Italian motors.

    ReplyDelete