Sunday 29 June 2014

Moscow Day 2 - Metro and St Basils/Red Square

No early start, nothing happens in Russia before 10. It was still raining and cold this morning, more like Melbourne than Moscow for late June.

Today there are lots of photos, most will be self explanatory but I will run you through the program.

I walked most of the way to the heart of Moscow this morning, in the rain. I came across the Lenin Library and next to it was a metro. So I thought I would explore the metro stations for a while so hopefully the rain would ease.



I won't name all the stations, I don't even remember them all. The first is the Library Station.


Next is a station with many statues and is one of the oldest stations. It is very near Red Square. A popular practice is to rub the nose of the dog and by the look of the chook and the pistol, people must rub them as well as they were shiny.








 The Station name in Russian


 A different Station







 Another one


 Yet another station, this one more modern in design.


 Station Name
 Another Station










Time to come above ground and yes, it is still raining and cold.  But I found a church and a Cow.




 Pan shots of Kremlin, Moscow River, Red Square, St Basils






Weddings and extended limo's were very popular this Saturday, maybe every Saturday, but they were everywhere and it seemed every bridal party wanted to have photos at the Gum building overlooking Red Square.

 St Basils




Red Square & Gum Building (upmarket Shopping)
 Red Square and Kremlin

 State History Museum ???
Lenin's Tomb

Inside Gum Building


Still raining, so decided to get a taxi back, big mistake, got scammed. Taxi said price by meter, stupid me thought ok, did not think that probably an illegal taxi, made to look real but with dodgy meter. Once I had committed, I had to pay. It was more than it should have been. c'est la vie, experience is what travel is, lesson learnt.

Very quiet Saturday evening at the hostel, the attendant (Aleksander) finally came back  about 8pm (speaks no english) and now we are watching Chile play Brazil in the World cup, it truly is the world game. Before Aleksander came back, I thought I was in another ghost house hostel. I like the ones where there are lots of people coming and going (giving warnings about Taxi scams) etc.

Tomorrow, I have a loose plan to catch up with Yuri (from the train) and have a nice lunch somewhere, hopefully he knows somewhere nice but not for the super rich.

LB






4 comments:

  1. the architecture is amazing, huge, dominating, especially like the red church & St Basils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pics are fab LB. I'm tres jealous. Give Yuri my best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given weather have you sighted many cossack hats or is everyone in Russia wearing A$#@y B*^d hats this season?
    AnonyMMous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonja and Dean1 July 2014 at 06:40

    You are covering lots of ground - juxtapostion of Red Square and GUM is bizarre

    ReplyDelete