Sunday 22 June 2014

Followed up with another quiet Sunday in Irkutsk

Today is a beautiful day, sunny blue skies, warm breeze, light fluffy clouds about, but very few people about.It is also my last day in the Paris of Siberia so I  got off my ass and went for s walk along  the (new) section.  The first place I visited is what I am guessing was some sort of war memorial, lots of flowers, flames etc.  BB can provide addition comment and interpretation on what thinks it is about, especially photographs. I then walked along the river for a bit and then double backed through the main street (Karl Marx Street) and then back to the hostel. Not many people about.

Tonight, or rather 3am tomorrow, I catch a plan to Yekaterinburg, about the distance across austral and a few more time zones to the west.

LB








                                                                                                                                                                           

4 comments:

  1. the lack of people is scary, but the sunshine looks so good - not much warmth in Melbourne. 16 sleeps...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The memorial board was set up by a patriotic group called "Remember Me", which was established in 2013 to "express gratitude" to those of the Irkutsk region who served in The Great Patriotic War (WWII). They have a website: www.pomni-irk.ru.
    Note the St George ribbons on everything. Souvenir me one in Moscow.
    Can't make out the text on the war hero statute.
    The last one is simply to commemorate the 350 anniversary of the founding of Irkutsk.
    Lack of people? Wait until you ride the Moscow Metro. Weekdays, of course. BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. LB = Lucky Bastard
    Sorry I was looking for travel blog of Fat Bastard ,I must be on wrong site ,any body set me straight

    AnonyMMous

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're in Siberia Doug, maybe everyone is in the Gulag ........ still.

    ReplyDelete