Thursday 12 June 2014

Ulan Baator

Another hard day at the office, arose early to a beautiful deep blue sky day, with warm sun and a cool breeze in the shady areas. After complimentary breakfast of toast, jam and instant coffee, the eager adventurers (also staying at the hostel) were packed off into various buses heading for distant parts of Mongolia.  I then had an opportunity to discuss with Oogie (Bob's sister and chief tour organiser) some day trips out of UB for the next 3 days. I didn't  catch all the place names but there will be National parks, lunch, some small hiking (we will see) and a mountain in the mix and that was good enough for me. I get to spend each night in a comfortable bed and have a shower available. No sleeping like sardines in a Gur (Yurt) with a Mongol family and their sheep and having the opportunity to offend the hosts by declining the sheeps eyes or testicles as the prize over dinner.

There is a strong Russian influence here in Mongolia, it is evident in the writing and some of the architecture. The Language doesn't sound like Chinese, yet it is not Russian either, central Asian is the best description.

After sorting out the tours for the next few days, I went walking around town some more. I went to the Arts Museum of Zanabazar, where there was an exhibition on of mostly hindu and buddhist art. Lots of Blue Hindu Monster gods, plus some example of Mongolian drawings and artefacts of dress and culture. Not the best, all a bit run down.

The Hostel

The Blue Sky



The museum of Zanabazar

 Then headed to the National Museum which looked even more tired and rundown on the outside so did not go in. Instead headed over to Ghengis Kahn Square where there crowds of young people all dressed up with lots of flowers and photographers.



The Square


Big Guys get respect here.




Initially I though to was wedding photos but that didn't feel right as it was mostly groups of people, mostly girls but occasionally boys as well, also dressed up. It soon became clear it was people celebrating their graduation form a school or university as some had academic gowns and hats on. Not just very bright dresses. So I tried to get some pics of the people and faces of Ulan Bator.











 An example of Russian influence on the architecture, a Gur and an old guy in the street who looked like he just arrived from the country in his best clothes. Pity he didn't smile as he only had a few teeth and his face had much more character.





After that, I came back to the hostel for a nap and sort out my accommodation, I had only booked the first 2 nights here on the understanding I would decide what I was doing after that when I got here. Since I have decide to keep UB as my hub, I had no accommodation past tonight. Thankfully the Guest house (Bob) has found me a small 2 bedroom family apartment close by to cover the rest of the stay. Although NO Internet Wi-FI. I can come back to the hostel and use theirs.

P.s Now that Billy Boy is not adding even more value by proof reading and editing, there will be often typos and missing words. This program seems to spell check words in an odd way, so every now and then strange words will appear where they are not intended. Just ignore and read in what seems to work for you.

LB

2 comments:

  1. we must be one of the few places that don't allocate large areas to squares. i love em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug, the Russian influence is called vodka.

    ReplyDelete