Monday 1 September 2014

London Calling

Hi, just a quick update to say we have arrived in London at our East Putney B&B at 36 Santos Rd. Our hosts are George and Sophie and George is a young Australian Physio from Adelaide working in London. Seems a nice guy.

This place is nice, it has a rooftop terrace, where I can even see stars from in London and I can sit here with my laptop to blog away.

No photos tonight, first we did not take many today as we travelled, but it is also very late and I should get to bed.

Today we left Heeze around 8.30 am, before the street festival started and the streets were blocked off. We briefly visited Brussels on the way, and Ghent and Dunquirk (spelling ??) before arriving in Calais. We worked out where we had to drop the car and also where the eurostar station is for London trains. It was at Calais Frethun, about a 40 euro taxi ride from the ferry terminal. It is out of town quite a way.

Car drop off went all ok, train trip through the tunnel was good, this is something I have wanted to do for a long time, when I was first in the UK/France, there was no tunnel, but ever since it has been built I have wanted to travel through as it is a modern world engineering marvel. (Although it has been around for about 20 years now).

See link below for news and images of Heeze festival.


http://www.omroepbrabant.nl/?news/216100262/Optocht+van+Brabantsedag+in+Heeze+maakt+indruk+Een+uniek+evenement+.aspx&action=media

A special thanks to Arno, Marianne and Truffel (the labradoodle) for being great hosts for the past week, we had a lot of fun, some great food and it was so nice to be in one place for more than just one day.

The plan is to spend a few days in London before heading south west. Although I have been to London several times since I was first here in 1990, I have always just passed through quickly on my way to somewhere else and London has a lot to see and do in, unfortunately, we only have a few days.

LB


3 comments:

  1. just thought I would add our taxi ride from train to B&B was quite 'pretty' bridges lit up & the slice of moon rising behind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this time i see the music reference

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy and Douggie, comments do work from my work PC. Don't forget to send Bill the video he missed out on

    ReplyDelete