Tuesday 2 September 2014

London Day 1

First, some catch up pics from yesterday.


Brussels Church in city centre


Hotel d'ville Dunkirque

Dunkirque


Our Eurostar approaching Calais Frethun


Unfortunately, it was still raining today in London, although we had been promised a rain free week. Anyway, after a good night at our flat, we headed off to East Putney Station, got our day tickets and went straight to Sth Kensington, where the British Museum of Natural History is and the Victoria & Albert (V&A) museum. Both were free entry, but the queue for the NHM was quite long and we had to stand in the rain.

The NHM is the sort of place you would like to spend a  month, especially after hours when there are no noisy kids running everywhere (I think it might be school holidays here). It was a bit much and I tended to skip through it too quickly to avoid being swamped by crowds.


Our accommodation in Putney (top floor)


Going up the escalator inside the NHM



The V&A was less crowded and aimed more at art, fashion and textiles. More Joy's scene than mine. But it had a great cafe space with stained glass windows.





Joy's photos below of V&A














After leaving the V&A we jumped on a bus and ended up at Victoria Station, where we got some Cornish pasties for dinner. From there we headed to the end of our tube line (Wimbledon) where I had promised an old friend, Mick Sepanchy that I would visit his old drinking place the Alexandra Pub in Wimbledon. The minute I walked in some Irish geezer instantly said he knew me and asked how I had been, that I had put on weight and that Meecham is where I am from. I asked if he knew Mick, and of course he did, even though it has been over 30 years ago. Needless to say, I had one pint and then made for the exit. Our irish friend was in a chatty mood.







On the way home, I spotted this car in the street, can anyone say what car it is? If you can, do not leave an answer as just anonymous, own up to who you are.



LB signing out, maybe tomorrow I will get to the tower of London.





4 comments:

  1. Anonymous=AnonyMMous in this instance I forgot to Emphasize the right SYLLabLE
    My guess until research is VW type 1 but fiat not out of equation


    AnonyMMous

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the clue Arno. It's a Nissan Figaro Concept, 1989
    H&E

    ReplyDelete
  3. H&E are on the money. One small quibble, although the car was first shown at a motor show in 1989, it did not go into production until 1991. Eric Clapton had one, if you're looking for a musical reference.
    Yours, Big Ears

    ReplyDelete