Sunday 6 July 2014

A walk in the Forrest

Today, we had a different activity. We went to an Abbey in a town just near where we had been staying, which had a long history, all eloquently explained to me in Hungarian. I just took pictures, including a video. Plus a few extra snaps from yesterday, (not taken by me)





 Cooking the Bacon fat, Paprika and Onion






Bling, Bling, Is that the Phone?



After the Abbey, we went to a place called Vinya and caught a train through the forrest to the next village about 8 mins ride away. From that Station we walked back the 5 km through the Hungarian forrest. Very clean, no rubbish or plastic bags in the stream or stuck in the trees along the banks.



 Station we got off at







After getting back to Vinya, we went to a cafe and had coffee and some had beer (not me). I asked about a drink called Unicum, which like Palinka, is a traditional Hungarian drink. It is meant to be a health drink, like Agnostu bitters, it is made from herbs (secret recipe) and is very high in Alcohol.

I said I would like to try one, so hey presto, one appeared, Les's cousin (George) then bought me another and said after three, I would be speaking Hungarian. I paid for the drinks and light lunches *(least I could do for the kind hospitality offered), so George goes off and buys me another three Unicums, thats five in total. After that, we said our goodbyes (in Hungarian) and the group went our separate ways. Needless to say I was wide awake in the car on the way home (not). Home for the next few days is Les & Clara's (Attila parents) rented house in Kormend, near the Austrian border on the way to Graz. 

Tomorrow, some new adventure will emerge.






3 comments:

  1. looks like the forest where 'robin hood' was made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Doug, Interesting collection of photos and comments. My daughter had a 12 month rotary exchange about 10 years ago and she loved the place and got fair grasp of the language too (apparently not related to any other European language and difficult to learn). Tim P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Palinka, I don't recall having one when I was there. Then again, I may simply not recall. GV

    ReplyDelete