Monday 21 March 2016

Across The High Andes

Todays bus ride from Mendoza, Argentina to Santiago, Chile was one I was looking forward to. As it turned out, the twin edged sword of Lady Luck was also riding with me.

First the positive, it was a near perfect weather day, clear deep blue skies and no clouds or rain. The down side was the seat on the bus I thought I had booked, upstairs at the very front and on the right was not what I actually got. I got a downstairs seat on the right side of the bus, this seriously impaired my view and my ability to take nice photos.  The windows were tinted and tended to show reflections from lights etc inside the bus. Also it was hard to take forward shots as my angle of view was limited. In the beginning of the journey, most of the best views were from the other side of the bus and luckily there were seats vacant. So this other lady and me would be swapping seats trying to get the best position and she seemed to choose better than me most times. It was  a spectacular ride and the views were great, but I found it hard to be in the right position at the right time.

For example, I think we passed by Mt Aconcagua, which is the highest peak in the Andes and in the world outside of Asia. It is 6,961 mtrs or over 22,000 ft, but my seat was occupied by this woman whilst I was looking out the other side. I didn't get a photo, although I briefly caught  a glimpse. It was a very steep look up the hill to see it in between valley walls. I was feeling a little queasy  on the way and wondered if I was coming down with something as I had a runny nose since this morning. However, I think it may have been the altitude because the pass reaches 3500 mtrs at its highest point and the border stop was at around 3000 mtrs. I am at Santiago now and still have a runny nose.

Border crossings are slow, there were hundreds of cars, bikes and busses queued up waiting to cross. They took all our luggage off the bus and put it through  Xray machines, we had to line up and do the Immigrations windows, first to leave Argentina and then to enter Chile. Overall it took about 90 mins. I did notice that the road down on the Chilean side of the border was very steep. It gave you that kind of feeling of when you have to get off a top bed bunk. Not for the vertigo afflicted.

Arrived in Santiago about 40 mins late at around 6.15 and text to hotel. Compass Expeditions had their support vehicle out the front of the hotel when I arrived. I spoke briefly to "Dennis" one of the guides and I think he said they were driving the support vehicles up to Iquique starting tonight.

Tomorrow we need to sort some paperwork out with the Bolivian consulate. Passport photos I think.


Outside Mendoza


Wineries outside Mendoza









Not the Big one




Border with Chile 3000 m





The road down the other side





1 comment:

  1. mmm the short one here is very happy to be on level ground !!
    looks very dry.

    ReplyDelete