Monday 27 October 2014

Squamish & Whistler 24 Years later

Hi all,

It finally stopped raining in Vancouver this morning, revealing a partly cloudy day. Today we went backtracking over territory I visited 24 years ago  when I was last in Vancouver and BC. Things have changed considerably.

We took a drive up the 99 highway to Squamish and then on to Whistler Ski resort, both places I visited when I was here last. The 99 highway is perhaps the best and easiest scenic drive in BC. It is now a modern 4 lane highway for most of it and whilst it misses a bit of scenery the old windy 2 lane road used to see as it followed the shoreline a bit closer, it is still a great road.

Squamish is (still) a small town about 80k from Vancouver at the end of one of the inlets (Fjords)  on the mainland coast north of Vancouver. It is past Horseshoe bay where you get the ferry across to Vancouver Island.

Unfortunately I cannot include the Old photos I took in Squamish and Whistler from last trip, whilst I have the thumbnails on my computer to view them, I do not actually have the files to upload.

Here are todays Pics


Squamish Hotel where I drank at when I was there last.


Chieftan Hotel (which is where I think I stayed, sort of across the road and down the street) I remember drinking at one pub and staying at the other.


Big D cafe, how appropriate to have lunch there in Squamish


Whistler, unfortunately this cloud seemed to hover over the summit as soon as we got there, yet when parking the car, it was clear.


Still good colour in the trees


My new shirt


Other side of Whistler


Streams have plenty of water after rains


Mountain views driving back from Whistler


Our Car, A Jeep Grande Cherokee, made By Chrysler (not as good as the GMC beast in Bozeman and quite a lot smaller)



Views of the Chieftan,  A big Rock face at Squamish



More roadside views on the drive back.


4 comments:

  1. Did you get a mug?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but I tried to buy a t shirt and they didn't have my size.

      Delete
  2. Was that a Lumberjack shirt? GV

    ReplyDelete