Friday 22 May 2015

Colombo Continued

Hi,

My first order of the day was to get some laundry done, this was going to prove more of a challenge than I anticipated. The hotel seemed expensive for Laundry, charging by the clothing item rather than per kg per bag. So I got in a Tuk Tuk to find a laundry, well the first place also charged per item, wanted $20 and would not have ready until Sunday, 2 days later. I went to three more laundries and got the same story, eventually I came back to hotel and said just do it. To which they happily told me I had missed todays run and would not get my laundry back until Sunday, a day after I leave Colombo. I guess my laundry will have to wait another day until I get to Galle.

Galle is where I will be heading tomorrow, catching the train, which runs alongside the beach here in Colombo. I am not sure if the train line follows the beach the way (100+ km) but I am sure it will be  a scenic train trip. Cheap as well, the ticket will only cost about $2.

I took the Tuk Tuk into town, despite being called the city here, it was a good 10 min to get to the city proper. We went along the beach and then past the Prime Ministers house and then to the Old Dutch Hospital (where I had a nice coffee). From there I walked to the main Railway station to enquire about tickets and timetables etc (very smelly around there) and then I came back to hotel in the heat of the day.

I thought I would watch some Television to catch up on the world, so I switched it and flicked through the channels, none of which seem to match the channel list given on the nice card in the room, particularly BBC and HBO. Maybe I was doing something wrong, so I took my channel list card and went to reception, met by three smartly suited gents, who assured me that the card is correct and that they are the listed channels available at this fine hotel. One of these gents, a very tall person, accompanied me back to my room, seeing doubt in my otherwise expressionless demeanour. He then turned on the TV and flicked through all the channels, advising me that THESE  are the channels this hotel has available, conveniently ignoring his previous assurances that the printed card channel list was correct. No BBC, No HBO, etc.

Pics


Beach at Colombo, sorry did not seem to focus properly, maybe tuk tuk was going too fast!


Old Dutch Colonial Hospital


Smelly


Railway Station


2 comments:

  1. Or toss the clothes and replace at less than the cleaning price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only it was that easy to replace the clothes, your logic is sound.

      Delete