Thursday 28 May 2015

Siem Reap - Cambodia

First impressions are normally a good start and my first impressions of Siam Reap are good. It is hot and sunny, but the people seem laid back and friendly. It does not seem overly crowded and hectic like other places. The country side around here is different from what I was expecting, which was; a jungle type place with lots of small hills. Instead, as seen from the air coming in, Cambodia seems to be mostly farming land, generally flat with occasion patches of denser forest.

The Tuk Tuks here are different, rather than a 3 wheeled covered trike as they mostly are elsewhere, these Tuk Tuks are carriages, attached to a motorbike.


The view from inside the Tuk Tuk as we left the airport.


Another Tuk Tuk that we passed to give you some idea of what I meant by carriage attached to motorbike.


The pool at the B&B (tried this out about 2hrs ago, very nice.)


The dining breakfast area


Tonight I am meeting up with Doug South, an Ex Telstra guy I know who moved up here to live about 6-7 years ago. As a near local, I am hoping he can put me straight about what to avoid and how much I should really pay for things. He seemed to get me a good deal on the B&B which so far, has been very good. The other thing I noticed here, which is something I don't like, is that everything is done in US$, no one seems to use or trust the local currency. Not a good thing in the long run.

Also, on the way in from the airport, I noticed lots and lots of Ritzy hotels, all looking rather empty as it is off season at the moment. But the Dead Kennedy's must have got it right all those years ago when they wrote 'Holiday in Cambodia", because years later. its a tourist town.


More pics tomorrow after seeing what happens tonight and tomorrow.

LB




No comments:

Post a Comment