Thursday 7 May 2015

Transport Economics lesson

Hi, todays topic will be transport economics, more on that later.

First, here is a picture taken from my balcony at 5.30 am this morning down the valley. Should be good tomorrow as well as the skies are clear tonight and stars are visible. Apparently rare in these parts.






If there is no pics yet, check later as the Internet is painfully slow here tonight and It may take a while to load the pics, and there is a lot today.

I hired a little motorbike to get around on, cheap, only $6 a day and it does the job, cheaper than taxis and cheaper than the "hire a car and driver for a day" to take me around to some of the surrounding village communities, mostly Black Hmong but some Dzou, as suggested to me by the hotel tours desk.



I visited the Sapa Market, not very busy today and cruised around town a bit getting to know where is where. I also went to the nearest village called "Cat Cat" but did not see any cats. The village itself was on the valley floor so I did not go right into it, it was just a collection of huts/houses.




The market



Local Black Hmong dress




Cat Cat




My shorts lady finally came good tonight, she was supposed to back at 6pm but was a no show, I was soon going to become a big man in Asia in search of shorts (Sound familiar) as I thought I had lost my two pair of damaged but repairable shorts and without my boost in supply of two new pair. I was about to alert Interpol, the NSA and Crimestoppers about the travesty of justice I had assumed to have occurred, when she  turned up about 7.30 with two pair of repaired shorts and two new models (which were about 4 sizes too big and had other tailoring errors). These have been sent back to be refined and I get them back tomorrow morning. Unless there is another no show,  I will at least, have two pair of Bespoke shorts.

Now to my main topic, the lesson of the day. Little motorbikes can solve all the worlds transportation problems, they use little fuel, are incredibly efficient and can be adapted to a variety of vocational needs. As the photos forthcoming will illustrate. I did most of these whist sitting in a cafe across the road from hotel this afternoon.


Family SUV


Sports Convertable


Fuel Truck




Tradies Utility


Logging Truck


Flattop Truck



Mum's runabout



Likewise



People Mover



Utility



Bulk Liquid Carrier


4x4 for collecting school kids



Dog & Puppy


Family Saloon



Hot Hatch


Learner Driver training


No idea what this is?



Baby on Board


Delivery Truck


Another Tradies Crew Cab



Ludite


Food Delivery Vehicle








4 comments:

  1. Doug,
    SaPa looks interesting. It looks like you have an upcoming Tourism Week there:
    http://tuoitrenews.vn/lifestyle/27520/vietnams-sa-pa-town-launches-information-booths-for-upcoming-tourism-week

    Also the daily mail ran an article on the motor bikes as well with some more photo:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3043686/Crates-live-pigs-goats-chickens-toddler-high-chair-amazing-things-fit-scooter-Vietnam.html
    Are you on Skype?
    Regards
    Graeme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug, it appears you have lost you edge. As I sit here my couch it dawned on me that the signs were there all along! I fear that you will never get those shorts in a hurry. Did you notice that your short lady ( would also be ironic if she was small ), couldn't even be bothered to finish combing her hair! I would suggest that she is easily distracted or has Alzheimer's. Good luck getting those shorts. I just hope that you took the advice that Chris DeBurg gave in 1982 - "don't pay the short lady, till she gets them both resized"

    ReplyDelete
  3. wear a helm yourself but bugger the kids

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonja and Dean13 May 2015 at 18:08

    Necessity the mother of invention. Shorts are on Asian time

    ReplyDelete