Sunday 24 May 2015

Galle - Unawatuna (One Tuna)

Greetings all,

I have had an interesting day, mostly travelling, but interesting nonetheless.

Last night, I took my friend Cresside's advice (a Sri Lankan/Aussie) and visited the Galle Face Hotel in Galle Rd Colombo, no pics unfortunately as I did not take the camera. The Galle Face Hotel is a colonial landmark hotel, that sits on the Ocean Beachfront on one side, and the city at its front entrance. It is a very salubrious, to quote my advisor in these matters. I splashed out and had several gin and tonics, at the bar overlooking the sea, plus some food. Food was OK, expensive, but the spray from the ocean in the white floodlights was special. A good call advisor. It was also a partly cloudy night, but bright stars were visible as was a waning moon.

Today, I stayed at the Hotel until 12 noon, which was check out time, as I was catching a 2.25pm Express train to Galle. I left the hotel in a Tuk Tuk where he took me somewhere very ordinary for lunch, a "burger joint", even though I asked to be taken somewhere nice along the beach. Apparently Colomboites don't get "nice" often. And the Tuk Tuk drivers must get their licenses from weetie packets, most, in my experience had no idea where places were or how to get there. Anyway, after a quick lunch, I headed to Colombo Fort railway station where I was told I could by a train ticket 20 min before departure. It turns out I was early and could by my ticket 1hr early, which was good, I was thinking this would be a mad dash, push and shove queue job, but not so and my ticket (2nd class) cost me a whopping $1.80, 3rd class was cheaper and there was no 1st class on this train.

I was looking forward to this train as I know it travels right along the beach for some, if not most of the 120km way. I had also noted some trains going past when I was on the beach road that were packed and people were hanging out the doors, a bit concerning.

Anyway, I found the platform and duly waited. The platform became very crowded at times and I thought oh oh, I am going to have use my size to snow plough through this lot if I want a seat. Relief would come when most would get on another train and leave. I also noticed on the other platform, as the train would approach, lots would jump down onto the tracks and climb on the train from the non platform side. Things were looking ominous.

Anyway, my train finally arrived and I had hopefully positioned myself on the platform where the 2nd class carriages would be (less riff raff) and I jockeyed into position to jump on and grab my seat (which I had paid good rupees for). But alas, all the seats were taken when the train arrived at the platform. It was standing room only and shoulder to shoulder. I thought bugger, this is an express so I have to stand here hanging on to the hoops for the next two hours. Luckily, "express" doesn't mean express, like yes means maybe or "I understand" means NFI.  I should have thought to find out where the train started from and gone there to catch it, I may have got a seat.


The downside of the train stopping was that instead of people getting off, more got on. I among convinced that even though I shelled out big time for a 2nd class ticket, most of not all in my carriage had only 3rd class tickets or non at all. I was so hoping a ticket inspector would appear and banish all those space thieves. But alas it was not to be. And whilst the train did follow along the beach for a lot of the way, I could only catch glimpses through the end of carriage doors as I was plonked in the middle, standing upright and all the windows had louvres on the top blocking any view I may have wanted. I stood all the way except for the last 15 mins. Even though there were many stops, all the seated people were in for the long haul.


Some Pics.


Colombo Railway Station


People jumping on the train from the non platform side, what for, I cannot imaging as it will be just as packed inside, no matter what side you enter from.


The upside to this is, that after my taste of the good life at the Galle Face hotel last night, I decided I would book something nice in these parts, I could splash out for a couple of days, I was getting tired of cheap hotels with dodgy wifi and no pool. The bathroom in the place I stayed in Colombo you could not swing a cat and I could not even close the shower door. Tonight would be different.




My bathroom


The room


The nice cup of coffee


The View


The pool, which I used about 20 min later


The hotel


The sunset somewhere over Mecca's way.

After my swim, I went for dinner in the restaurant, I was the only customer, it is off season now and there is only 2 other rooms take at the hotel. My dinner was delicious, I had duck in little crepe rolls, cold beetroot and orange soup, very nice, followed by fried chicken with mashed sweet potato and roasted peppers, washed down with some (50ml Gins and Tonic) and finished with coffee. Cost about $50 for dinner but it was nice. The only downside I can see to this place is it is a bit isolated, it is up on a hill and a good 15-20 Tuk Tuk ride to anywhere. I will cope  somehow.


Tomorrow, I will explore Galle. Pronounced (Gawl or Gall as in Gall bladder)

LB






2 comments:

  1. interesting colour in the pool..

    ReplyDelete
  2. No coffee in cardboard here.

    ReplyDelete