Wednesday 20 May 2015

The Shwedagon Pagoda- Rangoon

Hi all, arrived in Bangkok this afternoon (34c) after leaving a cool and cloudy Rangoon this morning. One thing I really wanted to do before leaving Rangoon was visit the big golden pagoda, the Shwedagon. Although very overcast and gloomy grey skies, it was worth the visit. A truly amazing set of buildings and probably the best temple/pagoda I have seen anywhere and I have seen a few by now.

I have found a cheap dump pretty close to the airport as I fly to  Colombo Sri Lanka tomorrow, however I goofed with the flight times. It indicated 9.05 and I thought  that was in the morning, so I would only have to sleep here and be off first thing. It is 9.05 pm, so tomorrow I have to kill time all day out here in the Boonies under the flight path. Must pay attention to details.

Here are the pics from this morning in Rangoon.









These pictures don't really covey the size of this thing, and all that gold.






Burmese women often have their cheeks painted with a gold like paint, here is an example.


LB

1 comment:

  1. wow... lots of bling & lots of structures too.

    ReplyDelete